On the way to the gym this morning, at approximately 6:37, Julia and I were lamenting January. Maybe it was the windchill putting the temperature in the teens or perhaps it was the cool darkness filling the streets, but whatever the case, it was decided, January tends to suck. I mean, yes, a new year, a fresh start and of course, Martin Luther King three day weekend, but all in all, who needs January?
But Julia brought up a good point: you need to do things in January (and all year for that matter), that fill up your bucket. Stay away from the things that drain it. For me, as always, it's good friends, good food and the combination of the two that gets me going. So grab a group of gals (or guys), whip up a batch of these Cherry Crumb Bars, and take on January... and maybe February too.
Cherry Crumb Bars
1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 1/4 cups rolled quick oats , divided
1/2 cup butter at room temperature, divided
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 13x9-inch pan.
2. Combine cake mix, 6 tablespoons butter and 1 cup rolled oats. Reserve 1 cup of this for crumb topping.
3. To remaining mixture, add egg; mix well.
4. Press into pan. Pour cherry filling over crust; spread to cover.
5. In large bowl add remaining 1 cup crumb mixture, 1/4 cup oats, 2 tablespoons butter, nuts, and brown sugar. Mix well. Sprinkle over cherries. Bake 30-40 minutes until just golden brown.