If you, anyone in your family, neighborhood or circle of friends is on a diet, don’t even keep reading. It will just make you sad. This is not, I repeat, NOT a figure friendly recipe. However, if you are willing to live on the wild side, ditch your guilt, and maybe log a few extra minutes on the treadmill, prepare yourself for a blissful slice of chocolate cake that cannot be beat. And that’s saying something.
I first heard of this Triple Decker Chocolate Cake last November. You all know I teach a fitness class, right? It’s called Jump & Pump, and it’s, well, hard. Stairs, hills, squats, jump rope…all of your favorite exercises, perhaps? Yeah. I put my class through the ringer, and though they moan and groan during, for the most part, they are happy campers after.
Melinda took my morning class. God Bless her. It was 6:00 Monday morning. How awful. Anyway, the Monday before Thanksgiving, I put my class through a particularly unpleasant work out consisting of stairs, stairs and more stairs. They were thrilled, I’m sure. Melinda was a few flights below me when I heard her start talking about this cake. Something along the lines of how it was keeping her motivated to do her workout.
Something every exercise instructor wants to hear. Cake talk during class. Well, maybe not most instructors, but being that I am obsessed with baking, I’m not mad… I’m intrigued.
“Triple decker chocolate layer cake with whipped cream frosting and a pound of butter… it’s very healthy,” she jokes with a smile.
Finally, some ten months later, she brings it into the fitness center.
Right after a cardio boxing class, Melinda, Chuck (my boss), several other class attendees and I sit around the front desk and dive into what is quite possibly the best chocolate cake I’ve ever had. People walking into the fitness center look puzzled and/or jealous as they wonder why their head trainers, so dedicated to health and fitness, are scarfing down three rich layers of dark, rich cake…in our workout clothes no less.
Well, let me tell you, Melinda was right. This cake is worth every calorie, fat gram and pound it packs. And guess what? I’m going to share with you the recipe.
Melinda’s Triple Decker Chocolate Layer Cake
What ya need for the cake:1 cup cocoa
2 cups boiling water
2 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
What ya need for the filling:
1 cup whipping cream1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
What ya need for the frosting:1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup cream
1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
What ya do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 3 9" layer cake pans. Combine cocoa with boiling water and mix with a whisk, and then cool completely. In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
2. In large bowl of electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla at high speed for 5 minutes. At low speed, beat in flour mixture in fourths alternately with cocoa mixture in thirds beginning and ending with flour mixture. Do not overbeat.
3. Divide evenly in prepared pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove and cool on rack.
1. Whip cream, add sugar and vanilla. Beat until thick.
1. In medium saucepan, combine chocolate chips, cream and butter. Stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat and blend in powdered sugar with a whisk in a bowl over ice, beat until it holds its shape.
1. Place 1 layer top side down on large plate and spread with half the whipped cream.
2. Place 2nd layer top side down on whipped cream and spread remaining whipped cream on top.
3. Place 3rd cake layer on top, top side up. Frost sides and top of cake with chocolate frosting.
4. Refrigerate for 1 hour or longer before serving.
Do not be amazed if you become the most popular neighbor/family member or best friend. Everyone will love you for this. I think it's absolutely perfect all year, but could be an extra special dessert for an important occasion. Try this...try this, try this!!!! Thanks Melinda!
I think it's funny that you ate that amazing cake in a fitness center. It certainly would put 10 pounds on my waist, but it might just be worth it :-)
Hell yes! Now that is what I'm talking about.
I LOVE chocolate cake! Everything about it! Thanks for this recipe, my daughter will go crazy for it! Tell Melinda we will think of her (and you!) as we throw calories to the wind and enjoy!
WOW is all I can say!
That's a real rich chocolate treat!
Thank you to Melinda for sharing her recipe with you, and thank you for sharing it with us... sounds phenomenal!
You know I just love chocolate!
Looks super delicious- yum!
Oh Yeah! This is my kinda cake, Thanks MELINDA! This seriously looks like it is worth it:)
Holy craptastic I want this now. How the hell do you eat so much sweet stuff and stay so fit? WHAT IS YOUR SECRET? I only come to your blog to drool and live vicariously through you since my baking has been substantially curbed lately. Sigh.
Filling, frosting and so much delicious cake! You are tempting me to pull out my baking pans at midnight! I think that chocolate cake should be a monthly requirement. Thanks for sharing!
Now this is a cake! Wow, can't wait to see if I can't make it. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.
OMGOSH. I miss real cake. I haven't seen anything like this in Korea. Sigh.
The honeymoon stage here is definitely over.
That is a seriously chocolate cake. I love it!
Post a Comment